1. Mauritius declares state of emergency
• The Indian Ocean island of Mauritius has declared a state of environmental emergency after a
Japanese-owned ship that ran aground offshore began spilling tons of fuel.
• The satellite images showed a dark slick spreading in the turquoise waters near environmental
areas that the government called very sensitive.
• The ship was carrying near 4,000 tons of fuel and cracks have appeared in its hull.
2. Khaje; “Harmal Chilli’ get Gl tag
• Goa’s traditional festive sweet dish ‘Khaje spicy Harmal Chilli and Myndoli Banana (Moira
Banana) have obtained Geographical Indication (GI) tag in last three months.
• Earlier, the State’s popular ‘Cashew Feni’ and ‘Khola Red Chilli, had also obtained Gl tag.
• The Myndoli Banan an important fruit crop, grown in the villages of Pernem, Bicholim and
3. “Priority pathogens” found in Yamuna water
• A research paper from IT Delhi has shown that the river Yamuna harbored some of the
multidrug-resistant bacteria that a World Health Organization (WHO) report had red flagged in
• The paper has been published in the Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering.
• The research paper notes that bad sewage management was the main source of their entry into
4. Odisha govt. approves drinking water projects
• The Odisha cabinet has approved 4 mega drinking water projects in Koraput, Malkangiri,
Mayurbhanj, Balasore, Gajapati and Cuttack Districts worth Rs 800.27 cr.
• These will provide drinking water to 6.07 lakh additional population in 911 villages in these
• The cabinet also approved as many as 20o proposals focusing on industrial development,
irrigation among others.
5. He-enhanced cool bright stars discovered
• A team of scientists from the Indian Institute of Astrophysics (1IA), has discovered He(helium)-
enhanced cool bright stars among the metal-rich sample of Omega Centauri.
• This work, a result of the spectroscopic survey conducted of this cluster, determines the Heabundance of these stars for the first time and has been published in The Astrophysical Journal