1. US signs deal to sell F-16 jets to Taiwan
• The United States has signed a deal to sell 66 of the latest model F-16 jets to Taiwan amid the
ongoing tensions between the Washington and Beijing
• The F-16 jets have been built by Lockheed Martin Corp.
• The sale was first floated in 2019 and will reportedly be completed by the end of 2026. As part
of the announcement, 90 jets will be sold to Taiwan.
2. Navroz: Parsi New Year 2020
• Parsi New Year, also known as Navroz or , is celebrated to mark the beginning of the Iranian
• The tradition is believed to have been celebrated for the past 3,000 years and is observed by
Iranians and the Parsi community around the world.
• The most prominent Navroz celebrations take place in Maharashtra and Gujarat in India.
• This year it was celebrated on August 16, 2020.
3. Railways constructing tallest pier bridge
• Indian Railways is constructing the world’s tallest pier bridge in Manipur.
• The bridge which is being constructed across river ljai is an engineering marvel because the
tallest pier height will be 141 meter.
• It will surpass the existing record of 139 meter of Mala – Rijeka viaduct, Montenegro in Europe.
The total estimated cost of the bridge is Rs 280 cr and will be completed by March 2022.
4. Legendary vocalist Pandit Jasraj dies
• Indian classical vocalist Pandit Jasraj passed away in August 2020.
• He was an Indian classical vocalist, belonging to the Mewati Gharana.
• With a musical career spanning more than 80 years, he was bestowed with numerous major
awards including Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan and Padma Vibhushan.
• His performances of classical and semi classical vocals have become albums and film
5. MCX to launch India’s first bullion index
• Multi Commodity Exchange of India (MCX) is all set to launch the country’s first bullion index,
Bulldex, on August 24, 2020.
• The bullion index, Bulldex, being launched by MCX is the sixth product in bullion complex with 1-
kg gold, 100-gm goldmini, 8-gm gold guinea and 1-gm gold peta, while the Options on Futures
on 1-kg gold is already in place.
6. New bus stand dedicated to Madan Lal Dhingra
• Haryana CM Manohar Lal, on 17 August 2020, dedicated the new bus stand in Karnal to Martyr
Madan Lal Dhingra.
• He also unveiled the martyr’s statue at the bus stand on his martyrdom day.
• Madan Lal Dhingra was an independence activist, who, while studying in England, had
assassinated a British official, William Hutt Curzon Wyllie.